Category Archives: Maggie
It was definitely one of those days…but it’s gotten better the last few hours. Here are a few things that turned it around:
1) Breakfast for dinner: Blueberry pancakes, bacon (from the butcher, so the good stuff!), eggs, grapefruit, and OJ. I could eat it all over again, it was so good!
2) Grocery story price matches: I’ve been buying groceries like crazy this month and running all over to multiple stores to try to get good deals. Then I realized that one of the grocery stores in town will do a price match of prices from any other store in the area. HELLO. 1 stop grocery shopping and I get the deals from like 5 stores?? Sign me up! I tried it tonight and it was fantastic. Took a little bit of work to make sure the products were the same, but this may be my new lifesaver (the time combing the ads was definitely less time that it would have taken me to go to all 5 stores. )
3) A Husband who cheerfully carries in the groceries AND takes care of them. A huge help when my back is not cooperating!
4) Space heaters: to warm up the house when the furnace doesn’t work!
5) Maggie: just cause she’s cute (although disobedient)
6) Naps: that’s probably pretty self-explanatory
1) When we saw our house for the first time with our realtor, we fell in the love with the front porch. It was the first room of the house we saw, and the first indication that we had that this house was a lot more promising that the pictures online showed. The porch, though, has been the hardest room to get unpacked and settled. It was where we dumped all of the boxes we didn’t have a place for and, without heat, it wasn’t somewhere we were jumping to spend a lot of time this winter. But now that the weather is getting nicer, it’s time to get it ready!
We spent a few hours yesterday cleaning, hauling boxes, and rearranging…In the end, it didn’t take much time, but the difference is amazing! We can’t wait to spend many hours out there over the next 3 seasons
2) Coat rack: Another area that has driven me crazy this winter is our lack of a coat rack in the mudroom. i wasn’t sure what I wanted, so coats ended up dumped on our dining room chairs. This week though I bought a coat rack at Target and Mark hung is up for me! Just in time for us to put the coats away for the winter It’s probably a little big for the space, but it was what I could find and I liked it and I forgot to measure :).
3) I found a new website this week to track pictures of things that we like…ideas for the house and garden, etc. You can see what we’re dreaming of at Pinterest.
4) I bought panko breadcrumbs this week to make panko shrimp, but also came across a recipe for mozzerella sticks and fried zuchinni. Really really bad for you, but oh so yummy. I think we have to try this. You can find the recipe on Pioneer Women’s site
5) I started using the french coffee press that Mark gave me for my birthday. After a few rounds of experimenting, I think we’re getting somewhere with it! I’ve made reasonable tasting coffee twice this weekend- progress!
6) While I was in Cleveland, Mark worked on our outdoor garden space, turning soil and pulling ivy. We still have a long ways to go, but it’s a good start!
7) One thing that we haven’t made progress on it Maggie’s loud noises in the middle of the night, the middle of the day, any time basically that Mark is out of her sight. She’s convinced that Mark should come play ball with her at 1 or 2 am. He doesn’t think this is a good idea. We’ve even tried taking the soccer balls away at night, which helped for awhile, but now…not so much.
My family is coming on Thursday to spend Easter weekend with us and we’re super excited! we’re looking forward to a fun family weekend and hoping that the weather cooperates…eek!
1. We saw crocuses this week while we were out for a walk….more signs of SPRING! (I didn’t take a picture..booo).
2. I read the All New Square Foot Gardening book this week- I can’t wait to get started with our garden! (revision: I think we might hold off on the garden this year and focus on our landscaping….)
3. I broke a tape measure this week. I’m just talented that way.
4. Maggie approves of the bookshelves my dad built
5. We’ve had the chance to spend time with some of our fellow church members in the last few days and have appreciated the opportunity to deepen some friendships. It’s true that all relationships take time and effort, and we’re thankful that we’ve had time to invest lately. There was a tea Friday night for the women at church that was a nice time to relax (and have lots of tea-type treats!) and then we spent the afternoon with our pastor’s family and a few other friends from church. It was fun to interact in a more relaxed setting (and of course eat fantastic food!)
6. Last night, we snuck in another family birthday with Mark’s family. Highlight of the evening for sure was when mark’s nieces conspired with me to get Mark to laugh uncontrollably. The photos are here: (too bad I didn’t get a video!)
7. So, before I went to Nashville in February for NRB, the luggage that I pulled out of the basement REEKED, so in a last minute effort, we bought a new suitcase at Walmart, but after using it once, it too reeked so badly that I couldn’t use it (like awful oil/plastic/ick smell). So we went to return it last night, and got there and realized that I forgot the receipt at home. BUT- they still let us return it, even though I had no tags or receipt. It was a happy customer service moment.
8. Bonus: My littlest niece commented on my last blog post :).